Yesterday (26.Jun.08) Dorna announced
The BBC will have exclusive coverage of MotoGP in the UK and this is very disappointing news for the following reasons:
- Currently the BBC only shows the MotoGP race on terrestrial TV (BBC2). The 125 and 250 races are only shown on the BBC's BBCi service;
- In the past some races have not been shown live;
- The BBC does not show qualifying all the time, and when it does it is only available via BBCi;
- Unlike Eurosport, the BBC does not show any of the free practice sessions or the qualifying sessions for the 125's and 250's;
- From 2009 the BBC will also be showing F1, thus if a race clashes with a MotoGP then the F1 race is probably going to get preference;
- If the BBC increases it's MotoGP coverage then more than likely it will only be via BBCi. The Problem is that you are not able to record BBCi on a SKY+ box.
Dorna have said that their reason for taking this action is to try and increase MotoGP coverage across Europe by giving priority to free-to-air television networks, but by taking this action they will actually be decreasing the coverage available to UK MotoGP fans.
If you are a MotoGP fan and want to petition Dorna against this action that they have taken then you might find the following e-mail address's useful: